Thursday, February 19, 2009

Kickin' it up a notch

Diet food is bland. No matter how much companies try to spice up their low-fat offerings, they fall short on flavor without fail. It's not as difficult to make a flavorful and nutritious low-fat dinner, but lunch has far fewer options. The last time I went on a serious diet I gave in to eating dull turkey sandwiches on high fiber whole-wheat bread with light mayo for lunch every day. This time around, I wanted some better options. Let's face it: light mayo tastes like crap. Here is an experiment in covering up the assy flavor of light mayo that turned out particularly well. You will want to eat this every day.

Jebby's Curry Chicken Crack Salad

You will need:
One cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded (alternately, you can use canned chicken)
Two generous tablespoons light mayonnaise
Curry powder (I used Spice Island's for convenience but you can make your own!)
Two tablespoons finely chopped apple, skin on
A tablespoon each of raisins (I like golden!) and dried cranberries
One teaspoon freshly grated ginger
One scallion, sliced on the bias
Two slices of whole wheat bread or a whole wheat wrap

In a large bowl, add the dried and fresh fruit and the scallion to the chopped chicken and toss.

In a smaller bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the grated ginger and enough curry powder to suit your taste. I used a very generous tablespoon. Mix until no spots of virgin mayo can be found, and add to the chicken mixture, stirring until all chicken is coated.

Put a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture on toasted whole wheat bread or a wrap. I also like a leaf of red romaine lettuce and some wafer thin apple slices on mine.

And there you have it!

1 comment:

Robert Wheeler said...

I am not at all sure what to think about this interesting recipe, but I think I'll definitely have to try it.